How to Brew Great Coffee With a Kalita Wave
Have you ever gone to a coffee shop and watched the barista meticulously brew coffee with a pour over brewer?
It’s fascinating to watch as they expertly weigh, grind, and brew the coffee with precision. But it makes you wonder, “Why go through all that work for coffee?”
Pour over brewers like the Kalita Wave give coffee drinkers full control over their beverage. From the grind size to the pouring technique, you can customize your coffee to taste exactly as you desire.
Best of all, you don’t need to be a professional barista or have fancy equipment to brew high-quality coffee with a pour over brew method like the Kalita Wave at home.
Follow our quick guide to brewing with the Kalita Wave and you’ll be set to make top-notch pour over coffee from your home, office, or on-the-go!
Ready to brew? Let’s dive in.
What is a Kalita Wave?
This brew method has a flat bottom with three tiny holes for draining the coffee. The Kalita Wave is made from stainless steel and uses a paper filter to trap oils and sediment, resulting in a clean-tasting cup full of flavor.
Kalita Waves are available in two sizes: 155 and 185. The Kalita Wave 155 is ideal for brewing 1-2 small cups of coffee, while the 185 is best for up to 3-4 cups of coffee.
In comparison to cone-shaped brew methods like the Hario V60 or Chemex, the Kalita Wave’s approachable and forgiving design makes it a great option for first-time brewers.
Everything You Need to Brew With a Kalita Wave
Since the Kalita Wave is a manual pour over brewer, you’ll need some essential equipment to get started.
Go ahead and gather the following items:
- Kalita Wave brewer & filter
- Carafe or your favorite mug (big enough to hold 8-10 oz of coffee)
- Digital scale
- Whole bean coffee
Our Preferred Kalita Wave Recipe
The beauty of pour over coffee is the ability to brew endless different recipes with it. Whether you like your coffee a little heavier and rich or full of bright floral notes, the Kalita Wave can brew all of that and more.
When brewing with our chocolatey and fruity blends, we prefer using the following recipe.
- Place the Kalita Wave dripper with the filter inside on top of your carafe or mug. Add hot water to thoroughly rinse the filter. This step eliminates any possibility of papery tastes ending up in your coffee. Remove remaining water from the carafe/mug and dripper.
- Measure 20g of whole bean coffee and grind on a medium-fine setting. This setting will vary by grinder, so aim for the consistency of slightly finer than sand.
- Place the brewing kit on a digital scale. Add grounds to the Kalita Wave and gently shake to ensure a level bed. Tare the scale to zero.
- Begin by gently pouring 40g of water over the grounds. This is known as the bloom. Set a timer for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, pour up to 130g of water in a steady spiral motion. When the water is almost fully drained, pour up to 220g. Repeat until you reach 310g. Your timer should read ideally around 3:30.
- Remove the Kalita Wave dripper, toss grounds and filter, and enjoy!
Coffee Not Tasting Quite Right? Here’s How to Fix It
Remember, there’s a ton of different ways to brew with a Kalita Wave. So, if our preferred recipe doesn’t suit your taste buds or you think something went wrong, there’s always a way to fix it.
Troubleshooting a Sour or Bitter Brew
Does your Kalita Wave taste sour? Bitter? Not quite right?
Adjust the grind size!
The grind size of a coffee recipe indicates how fast or slow the water will drip through the brewer. Generally speaking, the finer the grind size, the slower the flow rate of water.
- If your coffee brewed too fast and tastes a bit sour, you’ll want to grind finer.
- On the other hand, if it takes forever to brew and tastes bitter, try grinding a little coarser.
Troubleshooting Coffee Strength
We’re from New England. Coffee drinkers here love to say they drink “the strong stuff.”
Strength doesn’t always refer to the roast level. It can also mean how concentrated the brew is.
If you like your coffee on the heavier side, with deep flavors and a smooth body, try adjusting the coffee recipe. Reduce the amount of water or increase the weight of the coffee grounds and see which you prefer!
Or, if you’re one to drink lighter-bodied coffees, add a little more water to your recipe and see how you like it.
Start Brewing with Great Coffee That Fuels Great Causes
To brew a delicious cup of coffee with a Kalita Wave, you have to start with great coffee. It’s as simple as that.
On top of our award-winning roasting, we pledge $2 from every bag sold to great causes that promote wellness around the world. By drinking Victus Coffee, you just turned your morning brew into a charitable endeavor.
Our blends are masterfully crafted to bring out the aromatic, sweet, and delicious flavors you need to fuel your purpose—and the purpose of others—each day.
👉 We recommend brewing our Victus Veloce light roast blend with a Kalita Wave. Get a bag today and start brewing!